Tuesday, June 7, 2011

X-Men: First Class


X-Men: First Class -- 4/5

I feel like I'm not one to really judge on how well-adapted a comic book movie is, seeing as I've never read a single one in my life, or watched a cartoon. Those never really interested me. However, when you mention a super hero movie, I'm usually all over it. This is because I find super hero movies to have evolved really nicely over the years, forming a more darker film than most of the predecessors. Chew me out if I'm wrong, I don't care. I also find super hero movies easily more action packed than any other summer blockbuster (well, maybe not counting Transformers).
All-in-all, I enjoy seeing a really well put together super hero movie, and this is exactly what X-men: First Class is. Though the beginning is a tad rushed, the rest of the movie flows really nicely. I got a feel for all the characters, and I liked most of them. That being said, because it's the first film in this reboot trilogy it does introduce a lot of characters. However, I never really felt like any of the more pushed aside characters were that dear to my heart that I wish they had a bigger role. The film essentially focuses on Charles and Erik's relationship, which is does quite well. Other mentionable things about this movie that were great was the creative use of montage (while recruiting and training), the fight scenes (at where the mutant teens were locked up and the final battle), and the blur between who was right and who was wrong. The really interesting thing about this film is that Erik agrees with his enemy (name) on how they view the human population. It's fascinating that the film itself was more of a revenge story rather than "let's fight for good, and conquer evil." Though I am a huge fan of that type of story (uhm, Harry Potter), seeing something different is always a refreshing thing, and since super hero films usually have this theme, it's quite astounding that this one did not.
Aside form story, I really did think it was amazing how they pretty much made every mutant look pretty glamorous and handsome to look at, minus probably Banshee (played by Caleb Landry Jones). Poor guy, but it's just that red hair, not everyone can be Rupert Grint. Either way, I fell in love with Nicholas Hoult (Beast) via Skins a few month back, James McAvoy (Xavier) is simply irresistible, and Rose Byrne (Moira MacTaggert, she was not a mutant actually) and Jennifer Lawrence (Mystique) are two very gorgeous women whom I really like seeing in films :). I found it pretty amusing that the people who were human in this film were a little old and ugly, but then again that could be because they were all either government or army men.
This X-Men film was really something special. It played so well as a summer movie and I know I want to see this one again.

3 Top 10 Summer Movies down, 7 to go! And Super 8 in 2 days EXCITED :D!

No comments:

Post a Comment