Sunday, August 14, 2011

30 Minutes or Less



30 Minutes or Less -- 2.5/5

30 Minutes or Less was...less than good. Though it had a few chuckles and giggles, it felt so formulaic and just not very enjoyable. It was alright, it was okay. If anything it was a rental, not a movie you go to see on the bigger screen for $10.
It was so lack luster, and so underwhelming for me. I really thought this movie could do no wrong. It had the director, it had the actors, and it had the girl from Greek! What more could a person ask for in a comedy?? Nothing! And this is why I shouldn't judge a movie by its flashy big names. It only brings disappointment, really.
The biggest complaint I have with this movie is Danny McBride and everything his character's story brought to the table. I used to have the highest admiration for him as a comedian, and now I'm not so sure. As my friend Tasha said, sometimes crass for the sake of it isn't funny at all. What Danny McBride did in Pineapple Express was refreshing at the time, and now it's just annoying to listen to. I don't want to hear about all the code names for a BJ, I'm not interested! Also, his character had zero development. He ended the way he started -- a loser. Maybe if he ended up admitting he was in love with his best pal it would have elevated the movie a teeny bit, but not by much. Everyone just ran around in circles and learned nothing. It was the result of really poor writing.
One thing I learned from this movie is that Jesse Eisenberg and Aziz Ansari are a really great comedy duo and can make an script more enjoyable. They were pretty funny throughout and their energy really balanced each other out. I'd love to see them in more things with another.
And the hugest disappointment of them all was the complete lack of Dilshad Vadsaria, my favorite sorority sister from the TV show Greek. She showed up in maybe 3 scenes, had very little dialogue, and could have easily been cut from the script. I thought that maybe she would end up dating Eisenberg in the end, but the movie left that really open ended. They kissed a few times, but not enough to convince me that after that night they would be together for the long haul.
If you are interested in this movie, I would say wait to rent it :) It would really be the best bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment